Thursday, October 30, 2008

and pulse, and pulse

my roommate started doing a yoga-lates (yes, yoga and pilates...in one!) dvd everyday. i have yet to join her, partly because of my prior experience with the two.
experience #1: i had a friend that went to the same gym as me. when he found this out, he invited me to go to the pilates class with him. trying to impress, i agreed. stupid, stupid, stupid. pilates is hard, and quite awkward at times if you think about it. perfect example. my friend and i were mat neighbors (definition: his mat was placed next to mine) but he was closer to the instuctor than i was, so he was in my field of vision as i watched the instructor to know what to do next. instructions: lay on your back. scoot your feet up close to your bottom. lift your bottom up off the ground. and pulse. and pulse. granted, it was quite the work out, but i don't know what was harder, keeping up with the rest of the class or controlling my giggles. needless to say, that was my first and last pilates class.
experience 2: my cousin lindsey got home from her mission this summer. the night she got home, i slept at her house. our first official sleepover in 19 months! it was golden. the next morning we woke up and she asked me if i would like to salute the sun with her. "must be a mission thing," i thought...but agreed to salute. we got down on the floor and did the unthinkable. yoga. i don't need a professional gym instuctor or class to let me know that i'm not good at yoga. i followed lindseys lead, but failed miserable. it turned out to be a pretty pathetic salute. sorry sun.
although both experiences are quite humorous, it makes me a little apprehensive to pop in the dvd and join along with the skinny little half dressed instructor on her bamboo mat. then again, laughing burns calories too, so i guess it couldn't hurt.
or i could just go buy another ipod and get my bum on the treadmill. either way, my life needs energy. my life needs exercise.

2 comments:

Meggera said...

Girl.. I love me some Pilates.. and Yoga! They are a gift from heaven. I promise that if you give it another try you will love it!

Meg said...

My life needs you!! Maybe we should exersize together.. TREADMILL STYLE! Isn't sad to admit that I have never owed an IPOD!! I swear I am from the ice ages! I worked out daily for a year straight and never bought one.. yes... I am lame. I think I like watching TV at the gym too much!