Thursday, October 2, 2008

zing zing zing went my heartstrings...


I love traditions. A while back, my cousin Laura got me into the symphony...and the rest is history. We usually only go when broadway is involved (Bravo Broadway or Broadway Rocks), because it's brings two of our favorite things together. We meet up for a fancy little dinner beforehand, and then enjoy our seats in the balcony in Abravanel Hall.

This trip was no exception. Laura, Lindsey, Whitney and I treated ourselves to dinner at the Garden at the top of the Joseph Smith Memorial Building.

This is when I'm dreading my poor phone picture taking skills. There was a man there dressed in (prepare yourself) short purple shorts with a white button up shirt, white dress socks pulled up to his knees, and loafers. Dang. How did I miss the chance to capture that goodness?!?


The symphony always makes me miss orchestra...just a little bit. Some of you may know I grew up playing the violin - all thru junior high and high school. I didn't just take private lessons, but I also performed with the city orchestra. You had to try out for that!!! ...and at the time, I hated it. I called it "dorchestra" and poked fun with my friends that we would be involved in such a thing. (notice that my friends were in dorchestra with me. dont worry, i was cool enough to have other friends too...) Secretly I miss it. When I see them all up there playing together, it makes me wish I was playing again. ok, enough of being sentimental - moving on.

It was a different performance with guest singer Judy Garland. I know what you're thinking. Judy Garland is dead. That she is, and that's why they had three large screens up above the performing symphony playing video of her performing. Maybe sounds a little weird, but we loved every second of it. Now we just need Barbara to die so we can afford to go to one of her concerts.

5 comments:

Meg said...

LOL hahhaha as usual, you kill me (but I don't think when I am dead people would come to my concert!) I NEVER knew that you played the violin!! Look at you hiding your talents and I lived with you, how long?!
Sure love you!

Whitney said...

I'll send you pictures.

Mindy said...

I'm glad Judy wasn't *really* there. I was actually super creeped out for a mere second. Okay. That's all. :)

Emily said...

oooh, and celine. That'll be a good one.

Lindsey Robb said...

Girl!... I am so glad you are not denying that violin playing goddess within you! Just know it is never too late to pick up an instrument and let it all out! Miss you!