Wednesday, November 19, 2008

i am smrt

my office is a funny place. everyone kind of does their own thing, if that makes sense. the office is either hustle and bustle with a deadline, or can be deadly quiet. the quiet almost kills me sometimes, and i've noticed a number of people with headphones in their cubicles as they work. alot of the people with offices either have a radio going or music off their computer going. i was always jealous.
i have speakers, but for the last little bit, i couldn't get them to work. i finally brought my earphones to work thinking they would save me from the deathly silence that almost put me to sleep. i tried everything! i was unplugging and plugging back in chords and turning knobs. i was convinced the speakers had broken and thought i was doomed to silence.
then it came to me. i checked the volume control on the computer. yes, that little speaker icon in the right hand bottom corner of your computer screen? it was turned all the way down. and now i jam to the tunes of friends blogs all day. a earphone in one ear while i answer phones with the other.
that brings up a whole 'nother thing. i am having to retrain myself to multi-task like this. when i worked at UVSC (now UVU!!) in the registration office, i always had one headphone in, and my phone headset on the other. the music was to keep me from slitting my wrists in the silence of that office, but i got really good at zoning out the music when i got a phonecall. who wants to push pause or take out the earphone everytime a call comes in? i am quite proud of myself that i could do such a thing, and am excited to start it up again. the music really helps the day go faster, so i'm grateful for it.
ps...are they called earphones? i know headphones are the ones that go on your head, but the ones that go in your ears...earphones, right? (after i typed it so many times, it started to sound weird)
long story short. i am jammin' at work. don't worry. i don't dance...AT ALL. i know, several of you are very proud of me. sometimes i do tap my finger if it's a catchy tune. let's just hope i don't forget one day and start singing outloud. goo.

4 comments:

Whitney said...

Ear buds possibly? I am not the one to answer this question.

Kayce said...

Have you heard of Pandora.com? I hope you're not really just listening to the music on people's blogs. Please go right now to that website and listen to music that's chosen by you not other bloggers!

Bethany said...

kayce. what if i like my friends music?
ok, ok...i have heard of pandora before, but i've never actually looked at it. today is the day....

Jenny Alama said...

beth, i love that that happened to you because it happened to me on monday! i couldn't get sound and realized it was muted. doi! i heart you mucho.